Monday 22 October 2012

Banana Fritters A.K.A Vaipan

Vaipan Dough
I had a banana just withering away and needed to put it to use, fast before I had a casualty on my hands. I could have made a banana bread but I was feeling for something more nostalgic, reminding me of my childhood memories. When my mom had overly riped bananas, she recovered them by creating vaipans! I could never remember the name as a kid so I would ask her to make the banana things - yes, I know, very technical. Till this day I still call it banana things. 
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 Banana (ripened and mashed)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (depending on how large your banana, you may have to use more)
  • Pinch of Baking Soda
  • Sugar (to taste)
Recipe:
Mash the banana in a bowl and add 1 cup flour as a starting point. Add more to reduce the 'wetness' of the banana as needed.
Add a pinch of baking soda. Add sugar to taste.
You want this to taste sweet so don't skimp on this - use at least 2 tbsp.
Once combined, heat oil in a pot. Be careful not to have the oil too hot or it will fry the fritters too quickly leaving the inside undone.
Pinch off somewhat round balls and drop in the heat. When it changes into a golden colour, spoon off onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Enjoy!


Vaipan




1 comments: